Monday 23 November 2009

Setting achievable targets

I've made Monday's 'weigh in' day.

Current
Weight:  121.3 kgs       |       BMI: 41

Target
Weight:  87 kgs            |       BMI: 29.4

That means I have 34.3 kgs to lose. God help me.  I was sitting here thinking, "Ok, so how much is an achievable amount to lose per week?" I want to set my self obtainable goals, so I feel like I am getting somewhere.  Is half a kilo a week to low? Should I try and aim to lose 1kg per week?

So, for now.. I've decided that I'll stick to 0.5 kg per week, that seems pretty achievable with just small lifestyle and diet change. Ideally, I will kick my targets fair up the arse and be way ahead of myself. Awesome. But if I am only just meeting those targets, then atleast I can see that I'm 'on track' and getting somewhere.  Not beating myself up for not reaching goals.

At half a kilo per week with 34.3 kgs to lose, that will take me forever 68 weeks.  The unwritten goal within that, is I want to achieve that goal before Christmas 2010... so, one year away.

Does one set mini goals? And congratulate ones self for achieving said mini goals?  I've never really taken this whole weight loss thing seriously.  I've always been fairly happy with my size.  Well, if not fairly happy then I've not been unhappy enough to do anything about it.

I guess I've been a fortunate fatty. I didn't grow up with my parents or siblings or other kids at school criticising my weight.  Well, actually looking back I always felt and thought I was fat but I really wasn't. I just developed earlier and was much taller than other girls in my year (and the boys too for that matter!), so I always felt larger than I was.  I've always had friends that accepted me for who I am, never found it too difficult to get nice clothes, carry my weight rather well and had loads of male attention.  So, my weight never seemed to be that much of an issue.

Until now.

So, that said.  I am going to celebrate the mini victories where I can.  My first 'mini target' will be reaching 115kgs, and that will take my BMI under the 40 mark.  How shall I reward myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment